Green Group (3yo) Teacher:
We are very pleased to welcome Lainey Walsh as our 3yo Teacher for the second half of 2010. Lainey has proven qualifications and experience, making her a real asset to our children. Welcome Lainey.
Cheryl Coady is currently on maternity leave – we will keep you informed as any “baby” news comes to hand.
- Thank You to Rachel Terkelson (mum to Eve in Green Group) for designing the flyers and billboards for our Open Day in May.
- Thank you to Australian Paper Recovery Ltd for the making the effort to personally deliver a secure document bin to the preschool at short notice, in time for a working bee.
- Thank you for Clare, Claire, Rosa, Michelle, Carolyn, Christine and Kate for cleaning up Nara’s paperwork and filing during the holidays.
- Thank you Wilson Transformers for donating some wooden “Cable Reels” for our children to play with outside.
- Tea Towels – as we are still finalising some pictures we can still accept late orders until Friday 6th August AT THE LATEST. Tea towels will be delivered the last week of term 3.
- Don’t forget to return money from Cadbury Chocolates by Friday 6th August. Thank you.
- Picture Plates have been ordered, and are due back before the end of Term 3.
- It is a bit early to be thinking about Christmas, but to get in early for your diary – Sunday 5th December is Christmas Family Fun Day with lots of entertainment for everybody and our last fundraising social event for 2010.
First round offers have been sent out for 2011 kindergarten places. We recommend families confirm their 2011 offers as soon as possible, in order to secure a place.
4 Year Old Enrolment Officer – Carolyn Thorburn – 0410 043 721
3 Year Old Enrolment Officer – Christine O’Rourke – 0410 043 713
2010 Parent Survey:
Our Annual Parent Survey will be sent to all families in the next few weeks. Please complete and return the surveys promptly, as they provide important feedback to our teachers and committee. Your feedback allows us to know what we do well and what we can improve upon.
To keep families informed we will provide a summary of Parent Survey results in a future newsletter.
Due to the difficulty some families have accessing 3 year old kindergarten, we were wondering if there was any interest in a Saturday program. Perhaps for three or four hours each Saturday morning?
If you have any feedback or this interests you, please contact our 3yo Enrolment Officer, Christine, on 0410 043 713.
In less than 12 months we have received:
- 25 double passes to the movies
- $50 cash
- $25 Subway voucher
All that – just from our parents, teachers and friends registering online!
Keep “clicking”, or START “clicking”. It takes less around 10 seconds a day (you can only register once each day).
2011 Session Times:
Our 2011 times and groups have been confirmed (please note Green and Blue group changes):
3YO – Green Group:
Monday 9:15 – 11:45pm, Thursday 12:45pm – 3:15pm
4YO – Blue Group:
Monday 12:45pm – 3:45pm, Tuesday 9:15am – 3:15pm, Thursday 9:15am – 12:15pm
4YO – Red Group:
Wednesday 9:15am-3:15pm, Friday 9:15am-3:15pm
- Encourage your child to try brushing their own teeth, but continue to brush their teeth for them, at least twice a day (after meals and before bed).
- Use a low fluoride toothpaste from two to six years of age unless otherwise recommended by a dental professional.
- Smear a pea-sized amount of toothpaste onto the brush.
- Encourage your child to spit out the toothpaste after brushing.
- Mouth checks are suggested activities included in the 3½ and 4 year old health assessments with the maternal and child health nurse.
- It is recommended that dental check-ups start with toddlers.
- Consult your dental professional, maternal and child health nurse, family doctor or paediatrician for further information.
Our next information board will be on road safety. We also have some booklets and a DVD for parents to borrow. We encourage you to consider and discuss safety with your children – safety in the car, getting in and out of the car safely and pedestrian safety.
A reminder that we have a parent library that parents can borrow books from. We have some new booklets on healthy eating and cooking for children and a family book that parents may be interested in looking at. Our library is located in the yellow cupboard in our kindergarten foyer.
Green Group (3yo) News:
Hello to the families of Nara Kinder;
I would like to introduce myself, my name is Lainey Walsh and I will be the Kindergarten teacher for the 3 year old group at Nara for terms 3 and 4. I have worked with children for five years and have completed my Bachelor of Early Childhood Education. I have my own little son, Harlow, who is eight months old and just gorgeous.
My beliefs and philosophy when teaching your children are very much based around the statement “play equals learning”. I will strive to make all the children feel comfortable and valued at their kinder. I believe that the early years are the most influential. Setting a positive and stimulating environment with excellent role models is the best way to allow children to learn and further their development in all areas. I will program not only for, but also with the children, by actively engaging them in experiences of their interest. I look forward to getting to know you and all your children.
Please feel free to approach me about anything, even just to say hi!
Coming up – “Dove Puppets” Incursion Monday 9th August.
Lainey and Pam
Red and Blue Groups (4yo) News:
We are now half way through the year and what a busy time that has been. The visit to Sussex Heights Primary school was a big success. The children experienced aspects of school life and enjoyed the walk home. We have created a book on the visit, where the children have drawn pictures, told us their favourite part of the day and included photos. Please spend some time reading this with your children.
The children have been hiding treasure for each other to find. They have been creating maps and also making hats and patches. One group made a big ship out of the wooden box outside. Also we have been reading stories on treasure hunts and Pirates.
The children have been playing soccer. We talked about the rules of the game, about the countries that were playing and then the children talked to me about the yellow and red cards. From this we made up some rules and if they were not followed, they got a card. This then changed the way the game was played. Some children made numbers in their team colours and attached them to their clothes.
The table tennis balls have continued being used outside. The children have bought tubes/pipes to the steps, arranging these in different ways and exploring the direction the balls go. Some children are using the wheelbarrows to tip the balls from the top of the step watching all the balls go in different directions, while other children are trying to catch them.
Throughout all of the above play experiences, the children have developed skills from the frame work ‘Belonging, Being, Becoming’. Areas being developed include:
- Belonging to a group
- Becoming aware of fairness
- Becoming strong in their social awareness and emotional well being
- Researching, problem solving and investigating, using symbols
- Verbally and non-verbally communicating with others.
Thank you to one of our parents who donated some carrot seedlings which we have planted and watered. They also gave us some seeds which we will plant as the weather gets a bit warmer.
Vanessa, Louise and Sarah
Do you have any suggestions or feedback for our newsletter? Perhaps an article you would like included, or some further information or a question on a topic mentioned?
Please let Kathie (firstname.lastname@example.org), Vanessa, Lainey or any member of the Nara Committee know. All suggestions and input gratefully received!